Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Do the research before you agree to major surgery!!


You no longer have to be in the dark about your condition or health problem. In todays doctor-patient relationship, you are lucky to get 20 minutes before a procedure. Remember, these surgeons perform many procedures sometimes even in one day. You are the person who has to live with the results of this procedure. You no longer have to rely on what your Doctor or his Nurse tells you, at least you don't if you have basic skills with a computer and an internet connection.

I admit that I have more than basic skills with a computer but you can do it. You can find all of the information that you will ever need and usually you can find a forum or news group filled with people who have the same health problems as you. Most of them are more than willing to exchange stories with you, give you tips and in many cases refer you to other websites for additional information on your topic. Research can be a gratifying and exciting way to not only educate yourself on your condition but make friends from all over the world.

After my last back surgery which was actually 1991, my life was a living Hell. It was a year before I could even stand up straight. I vowed that I would learn everything I could about the human body, especially the Spine.. I did just that and I am still learning.

I have no desire to be a surgeon and I am not one. I am one of the most informed patients that a surgeon will ever talk to and most of them don't like it. I could care less because I have already been down this road. You have surgery, you get a couple of follow up appointments and then you are on your own. Hopefully the surgery helped. If it does great, if it doesn't you are own your own and its your problem. Sadly few spine surgeons have the patients best interests at heart, especially today.

The REAL TRUTH IS THERE IS NO CURE FOR PROBLEMS IN THE HUMAN SPINE!!!

Once again, do your research. You can find it on the internet and if you can't leave me a comment and I will research it for you.

No comments: