Saturday, February 3, 2007

True "Informed Consent".

"Informed Consent" is something that you also rarely get when you go to a doctor anymore, or something that is rarely even mentioned during your appointment. First of all I do not mean to imply that all doctors are bad or unethical. There are some wonderful doctors in all fields but you do have to look for one. I have a psychiatrist that has been treating me for almost 15 years, because with Chronic Pain comes a never ending battle with depression. I do not know what I would do without him. It may be different for some or most of you but in my life, he is the only one that I hold in high esteem.

Everyone has the right to have their condition fully explained to them, and especially if you are having surgery, you have the right to have your questions answered fully and to your satisfication. In my case that rarely happens, especially because of my history with intravenous injections and especially the chymopapain injections. I recently asked two different nurses about chymopapain and they said they had never heard of it. Many surgeons think they are "little gods" and you shouldn't question them. That is exactly what I am talking about with "informed consent". You as a patient have a right to know!!

No comments: